Proposal: Add "fma" to the RealFloat class

Levent Erkok erkokl at gmail.com
Mon May 4 17:48:21 UTC 2015

Joachim:

I do think that a class is needed. The IEEE754 is actually quite agnostic
about floating-point types. What IEEE754 says about floats are the sizes of
the exponent and the mantissa; let's call them E and M for short. Then, one
can define a floating-point type for each combination of E and M, both of
which are at least 2. The resulting type will fit into E+M+1 bits.

We have:

        -  "Float" is  E=8, M=23. (And thus fits into a 32 bit machine word
with the sign bit.)
        -  "Double" is E=11, M=52. (And thus fits into a 64 bit machine
word with the sign bit.)

(In fact IEEE754 defines single/double precision to have at least those E/M
values, but allows for larger. But let's ignore that for a moment.)

You can see that the next thing in line is going to be something that fits
into 128 bits, also known as quad-precision. (Where E=15, M=112, plus 1 for
the sign-bit.)

If we get type-literals into Haskell proper, then these types can all be
nicely represented as "FP e m" for numbers e, m >= 2.

It just happens that Float/Double are what most hardware implementations
support "naturally," but all IEEE-754 operations are defined for all
precisions, and I think it would make sense to capture this nicely in
Haskell, much like we have Int8, Int16, Int32 etc, and have them instances
of this new class.

So, I'm quite against creating "fmaFloat"/"fmaDouble" etc.; but rather
collect all these in a true IEEE754 arithmetic class. Float and Double will
be the two instances for today, but one can easily see the extension to
other variants in the future. (C already supports long-double to an extent,
so that's missing in Haskell; as one sticking point.)

This class should also address rounding-modes, as almost all
float-operations only make sense in the context of a rounding mode. The
design space there is also large, but that's a different discussion.

-Levent.