Library_submissions and Call for Maintainers

Dominic Steinitz dominic at steinitz.org
Mon Mar 30 07:55:04 UTC 2015

Edward Kmett <ekmett <at> gmail.com> writes:

 >  * random
>
>  We've had some truly excellent work done over the last couple of
>  years on how to deal with "splitting" a random number generator in a
>  cryptographically sound manner. I spent some time cleaning up a few
>  outstanding issues for this package personally over the summer, but
>  have not had nearly enough time to devote to the issue of how to
>  integrate the outcome of the recent research on splitting, while
>  simultaneously caring about performance and soundness.

I finally managed to get some time to start looking at this. I have
created a ticket here

https://github.com/haskell/random/issues/25

Please add comments and any information you think Carter and I might
find helpful.

I discovered the package has some benchmarks that are 3+ years old. At
the moment, I am not sure what they are telling me. If anyone has any
background / views please chip in.

Dominic.