wither the Platform

Heinrich Apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Tue Mar 24 17:11:17 UTC 2015

Duncan Coutts wrote:

> As far as I can see there's no conflict between the advocates of mini
> and maxi installers (as aimed at new users) except for this behaviour of
> new sandboxes.
>
> All we need to do is make "cabal sandbox init" start with a minimal
> package set, rather than taking the global package db.
>
> It's true that the ghc/platform installers could help with this, e.g. by
> shipping an environment file (a new 7.10 feature) that lists all the
> core packages, and cabal-install could use this as a basis for new
> sandboxes.

It would be nice if trying to install a package in the sandbox that is
already present in the platform would result in a binary copy rather
than a new compilation. But this is just a small optimization.

Personally, I like to use a sandbox for every project to get a stable
set of dependencies -- I often don't use a .cabal file for on/off projects.

Best regards,
Heinrich Apfelmus

--
http://apfelmus.nfshost.com