Proposal: end lazy IO results with errors/exceptions

Dan Doel dan.doel at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 04:46:48 UTC 2014

What is an example of a use case where relying on the current behavior
would be a good thing?

For an exception to happen, one has to force more than what was already
forced when the handle was closed. The vast majority of instances of
this---as far as I can tell---are people immediately closing handles
they've lazily read from, and an exception is probably more informative
than the empty input they currently get.

For correct-given-the-current-spec code to break, it seems like it would
have to be relying on one part of the code forcing the input before closing
to be an implicit signal to another part of the code that inspects the
input after the closing. But I don't see a reason to encourage/support that
kind of design.

I'm in favor of this change, in case that wasn't obvious. :)