Proposal: add 'equating' function to Data.List

Greg Weber greg at gregweber.info
Mon Jul 21 01:38:24 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 5:46 PM, John Lato <jwlato at gmail.com> wrote:

> The utility of the proposed "equating" extends far beyond simply using it
> with groupBy.  Just last week I used "on (==)" as part of a complicated
> boolean expression.
>
> That said, I just want to be clear that I'm understanding Greg properly.
>  Are you advocating that one should generally create a newtype+Eq instance
> rather than using "on (==)"?  What is the benefit of this approach?  The
> only one I can think of is that it makes the standard libraries smaller,
> which seems like a rather small gain considering that you've changed a
> 7-character expression into multi-line boilerplate for everyone, hampering
> readability in the process.  Is there something I'm missing here?

Sorry I didn't do a good job explaining. groupOn takes a function that is a
projection to an equality instance (Eq b => (a -> b)).
So there is no need for a newtype, and this interface has suited 100% of my
needs, and every usage I have ever seen in Haskell code.

My presumption is that the only reason this interface is not 100%
satisfactory and we have this weird interface based on Bool is because you
may want to compare something that does not have an Eq instance. One could
still handle that case by wrapping the projected value in a newtype and
writing an Eq instance for that newtype.