Status of Haskell Platform 2014.2.0.0

Eric Mertens emertens at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 21:52:20 UTC 2014

People writing important public facing web services don't need the Haskell
Platform. They're already getting by just fine downloading GHC directly and
building the right versions of things and are aware of the recent
improvements to "aeson".

Every day the HP is stalled for one of its components' impending updates is
another bit of irrelevance that the HP accumulates. HP has been unusable
for new users on the current version of OS X for something like 8 months
now. (just counting on my fingers). It's not uncommon to see comments on
Reddit and IRC telling new users to ignore the HP. Maybe we can just get
something released so that the new users coming to Haskell who need a
some-what up-to-date starting point with minimal prior knowledge can get
started. The HP will never be done otherwise.