Bit shifting limitations

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 05:53:12 UTC 2014

FWIW- this is actually the behavior for shiftL.

It should just 'do the right thing' for over-shifting, in that it just
keeps shifting, resulting in

For shiftR we work that way, but there is apparently a cut and paste error
in the haddocks that makes shiftR have the warning from unsafeShiftR that
its behavior on overflow is undefined.

>>> unsafeShiftR 1 1000000 :: Int

1

This stays put because 1000000 `mod` 64 = 0, while

>>> shiftR 1 1000000 :: Int

0

saturates as you'd expect from:

1

>>> shiftL 1 1000000 :: Int

0
The fact that we work modulo the integer size for unsafeShiftL/unsafeShiftR
is very much platform specific though and its left deliberately
unspecified, as the current unsafeShiftL and unsafeShiftR are intended for
use in scenarios where the cost of the branch would be prohibitive, so
over-constraining their implementation would be quite bad.

The intention of the current specification should be that shiftR and shiftL
just shift and keep on shifting even if you give a number that is too big,
while unsafeShiftR and unsafeShiftL do undefined platform specific stuff
when you give them a number out of range, usually this will be the modular
shift that you get from the native instruction.

This way you can use unsafeShiftL and unsafeShiftR when you know the
argument is in range.

We should definitely fix the documentation for shiftR though. That it
claims to be undefined on over-shifting is just wrong.

-Edward