Bit shifting limitations

David Feuer david.feuer at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 21:50:42 UTC 2014

On Jul 13, 2014 5:35 PM, "John Meacham" <john at repetae.net> wrote:
> Infinite bit sets I guess, I don't think it is that unreasonable to
> exist, were it not for that pesky bitSize.

No, that use *is* unreasonable. Infinite bitsets are just optimized unboxed
expandable Boolean vectors, and it makes more sense to have one type that
fills with False and another that fills with True than a notion that a
bitset is "signed". IntN and WordN are special for two reasons: 1. Their
sizes are especially fast. 2. They are numbers, and those bitwise
operations can do some pretty cool things fast—the specific thing that I
was looking at just now was a Java implementation of isSquare that
maaartinus wrote on StackOverflow that uses a masked shift to index into a
(logical) bitvector by the six low-order bits of a (logical) integer to see
if those bits can be the low-order bits of a perfect square. When I went to
do that in Haskell, I ran into all sorts of unpleasant limitations of
Data.Bits and some very odd types in Data.Bits.Extras.