qualified imports, PVP and so on (Was: add new Data.Bits.Bits(bitZero) method)

Greg Weber greg at gregweber.info
Thu Feb 27 16:30:50 UTC 2014

I actually think work on the a) cabal solver has been a distraction from
more pressing issues: the need for sandboxes (that is done now) and
reproducible builds (frozen dependencies). If you look at Ruby's Bundler,
which has been extremely successful, it has historically (maybe they have a
better solver now) been a dumb tool in terms of its solver that works
extremely well. I think 90+% of this conversation is pretty wasteful,
because once we have reproducible builds everything is going to change. If
the energy could be re-directed to being able to create reproducible builds
in Haskell, then we could figure out what the next most important priority
is.

Of course, I agree that better error messages like b) are always valuable.

yesod-platform is essentially a reproducible build and it has been able to
fix dependency issues that previously seemed unfixable.
At my work we add a cabal.config to our projects to create reproducible
builds, and everyone in industry does something similar for their
applications.