qualified imports, PVP and so on (Was: add new Data.Bits.Bits(bitZero) method)

Bart Massey bart at cs.pdx.edu
Wed Feb 26 18:32:59 UTC 2014

Bardur: Yes! I want *this*! In addition to short-circuiting this epic
argument, it looks way better. I've always wished Haskell had the ML
module system, but this looks even better than that in some ways. So,
yes. Let's get backpack into GHC, require it on Hackage, and get on
with it. Note that backpack by itself isn't sufficient, since it only
guarantees type-compatibility, not semantic compatibility. We would
have to add additional rules requiring at least partial semantic
compatibility of any changes to the semantics at a given name. --Bart