qualified imports, PVP and so on

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 11:58:05 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 10:37 AM, Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 11:17 AM, Johan Tibell <johan.tibell at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>>  * What was the user's dependency range for monad-logger? If he is using
>> the IO instance of MonadLogger from monad-logger, he ought to have a
>> monad-logger == 2.0.* dependency (since removing instances require a major
>> version bump.)
>>

> The user didn't directly depend on monad-logger at all, as there was no
> need with version 0.2 of monad-logger.

I guess the reason didn't have to depend directly on monad-logger was
because he/she never mentioned any types from that package by name and thus
didn't require an import of monad-logger modules.

I wonder if we should have the PVP require that if a type you export in
your API loses a class instance, then you're required to bump the major
version number. This would have helped in this case.