qualified imports, PVP and so on (Was: add new Data.Bits.Bits(bitZero) method)

Gregory Collins greg at gregorycollins.net
Wed Feb 26 08:03:17 UTC 2014

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 9:39 PM, Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com>wrote:

> You talk about voting on the policy as if that's the natural thing to do.
> When did we vote to accept the policy in the first place? I don't remember
> ever putting my name down as "I agree, this makes sense." Talking about
> voting, violating, complying, etc, in a completely open system like
> Hackage, makes no sense, and is why your comments come off as an appeal to
> authority.

Michael, where do I start. This policy was written and put into place in
October 2007, based on an earlier proposal by Bulat Ziganshin from 2006.
Simon Marlow wrote a draft on the wiki, the matter was discussed on
haskell-cafe@, in #ghc, on the wiki, and presumably in person. Consensus
was reached and the policy has been periodically updated by the community
since. I don't want to "appeal to authority" here, but from the logs it's
clear that the people involved were Simon, Duncan, Ian, Don, etc., i.e. the
people actually responsible for building and running all the crap we're
talking about in the first place, including Hackage itself.

I know it furthers your argument to question the policy's legitimacy, and
I'm sorry consensus was reached without your agreement when it was drafted,
but it wasn't dropped from the sky by unaccountable people just to
inconvenience you.

Gregory Collins <greg at gregorycollins.net>