qualified imports, PVP and so on (Was: add new Data.Bits.Bits(bitZero) method)

Omari Norman omari at smileystation.com
Tue Feb 25 22:15:46 UTC 2014

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 4:52 PM, Gregory Collins
<greg at gregorycollins.net> wrote:

> write down the exact versions of all of the libraries you need in the
> transitive closure of the dependency graph.

I cobbled together a rudimentary tool that does just that:

https://hackage.haskell.org/package/sunlight

the idea being that, to my knowledge, there were no tools making it
easy to verify that a package builds with the *minimum* specified
versions.  Typical CI testing will eagerly pull the latest
dependencies.

sunlight builds in a sandbox, runs your tests, and snapshots the
resulting GHC package database.  It can do this for multiple GHC
versions, and will do one build with the minimum versions possible (it
does require that you specify a minimum version for each dependency,
but not a maximum).  At least then you can consult a record showing
the exact package graph that actually worked.