qualified imports, PVP and so on (Was: add new Data.Bits.Bits(bitZero) method)

Vincent Hanquez tab at snarc.org
Tue Feb 25 21:23:24 UTC 2014

On 2014-02-25 17:26, Carter Schonwald wrote:
> indeed.
>
> So lets think about how to add module types or some approximation
> thereof to GHC? (seriously, thats the only sane "best solution" i can
> think of, but its not something that can be done casually). Theres
> also the fact that any module system design will have to explicitly
> deal with type class instances in a more explicit fashion than we've
> done thus far.

Yes. I think that's the only way a PvP could actually work. I would
imagine that it could be quite fiddly and the reason why it wasn't been
done yet.
But, clearly for this scheme to work, it need to remove the human part
in the equation as much as possible.

It still wouldn't be perfect, as there would still be stuff that can't
be accounted for (bug, laziness, performance issues,...) , but clearly
it would work better than a simple flat sequence of number that is
suppose to represent many different aspects of a package and the
author's understanding of a policy.

--
Vincent