Proposal: Add filterM or filterA to Data.Sequence

David Feuer david.feuer at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 23:52:42 UTC 2014

On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 6:22 PM, Milan Straka <fox at ucw.cz> wrote:
> Hi all,

Oh, I really don't know which is better (and that's true also for
unfoldr and unfoldl--is the current implementation better or worse
than using fromList?).

> Note that it is not obvious what type does filterM has (unlike e.g. zip),
> now that we have Applicative and also filterM is changing in base. From
> this point of view, it makes sense to use
>   fmap fromList . filterM f . toList
> because then we do not have inconsistent filterM-s.

I have no problem with having filterM in Data.Sequence be more general
than filterM in Control.Monad for old versions.

I think both unfold(r/l) and filterM actually make a potential point
in my favor—if there are multiple implementations that seem
reasonable, having whichever turns out to be fastest in the library
will save users time benchmarking them.

David