Proposal: Add filterM or filterA to Data.Sequence

David Feuer david.feuer at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 23:03:54 UTC 2014

There won't be any such numbers in this case, because access to the
details of the sequence structure does not seem to help implement this
function. The same is true of the following, all of which already
exist:

replicate, replicateM, iterateN  -- all are implemented using replicateA
unfoldr, unfoldl --implemented using <| and |>
null -- can be written just as well using  null xs = case viewl xs of
{EmptyL -> True; _ -> False}
scanl, scanr, scanl1, scanr1 -- defined ultimately in terms of traverse
spanl, spanr, breakl, breakr, takeWhile, dropWhile -- defined in terms
of splitAt
findIndicesL, findIndicesR -- defined in terms of foldlWithIndex, foldrWithIndex
take, drop -- previously defined using splitAt; currently defined
using splitAt', but those two functions are likely to merge
filter -- uses foldl
elemIndexL, elemIndicesL, elemIndexR, elemIndicesR, findIndexL,
findIndexR -- all defined using findIndicesL and findIndicesR
update -- uses adjust
zip, zipWith3, zip3, zipWith4, zip4 -- All defined from zipWith

I think almost all of these functions are good to have around
(although the elemIndex family seems a bit silly). Adding a few more
to round things out seems reasonable to me as well.