Strange errors trying to install terminfo

Reid Barton rwbarton at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 04:03:45 UTC 2014

Hi Sean,

On Sun, Dec 21, 2014 at 8:15 PM, Sean McAfee <eefacm at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello--
>
> I hope my question is appropriate here; I couldn't find an obviously
> better forum for what is apparently a cabal issue in a fair amount of
> searching.
>
> I've been trying to install the terminfo package on my Ubuntu system
> like so:
>
> > ~$ cabal install terminfo
> > Resolving dependencies...
> > Configuring terminfo-0.4.0.0...
>
> At this point, the command hangs, and I notice my mouse cursor has
> transformed into a crosshair image for some reason.  I can't click on
> anything normally, but after several clicks around the screen, the
> command resumes:
>
> > /home/mcafee/node-v0.10.31/configure: line 10: syntax error near
> unexpected token `('
> > /home/mcafee/node-v0.10.31/configure: line 10: `CC =
> os.environ.get('CC', 'cc')'
> > Failed to install terminfo-0.4.0.0
> > cabal: Error: some packages failed to install:
> > terminfo-0.4.0.0 failed during the configure step. The exception was:
> > ExitFailure 2

This means that /home/mcafee/node-v0.10.31/configure, which is apparently a
python script, is for some reason getting run by a shell instead. ("import"
is a utility that takes a screenshot of a single window which you select
with the crosshair cursor, and is also a string often found near the
beginning of python scripts.)

How you got into this situation, I haven't the foggiest idea. Hope this
helps!

Regards,
Reid Barton