Gearing up (again) for the next release: 2014.2.0.0

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Tue Apr 8 15:10:25 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 5:20 PM, Mark Lentczner <mark.lentczner at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 6:56 PM, Gershom Bazerman <gershomb at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>>  ... cgi doesn't feel like a core/common thing that is necessary to have
>> in the platform ...
>>

> Considering the range of facilities provided by other language platforms
> (see my HIW talk two years ago<http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/HaskellImplementorsWorkshop/2012/Lentczner>),
> cgi, or some method of serving HTTP requests is well within a reasonable,
> common library collection these days. We should have a HTTP client as well.

The wai-frontend-monadcgi[1] package allows programs written against the
cgi library to be run on any WAI backend, including Warp, FastCGI, and, of
course, CGI[2]. I'd personally recommend people switch to WAI directly, but
this adapter library makes it possible to take existing cgi applications
and put them in a more modern stack.

Regarding the client side, I'd like to mention http-client[3] and
http-client-tls[4]. The latter provides, to my knowledge, the only
pure-Haskell HTTPS client library. I know people have raised security
concerns about using the tls package due to lack of testing relative to
OpenSSL, but I'm not sure if those arguments are so valid given recent
events[5].

Michael

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/wai-frontend-monadcgi
[2] 10 internets to the first person who hosts a cgi-library-based
application using the WAI CGI handler and sticks it all behind Mighty's CGI
serving.
[3] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/http-client
[4] http://hackage.haskell.org/package/http-client-tls
[5] http://heartbleed.com/