Burning bridges

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Thu May 23 03:22:06 CEST 2013

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 8:39 PM, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic <
ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 23 May 2013 07:32, Malcolm Wallace <malcolm.wallace at me.com> wrote:
> > -20 for generalising the Prelude
> > +1 for removals from the Prelude
> > -1 for adding monomorphic stuff
> > +1000 for doing nothing
> >
> > You are all nuts. :-)
>
> I don't know if I'd go quite _that_ for as Malcolm for the weightings
> for the different proposals...
>
> But I was speaking with a few other tutors of an introductory
> CS/programming course that uses Haskell (note: it's teaching
> programming with Haskell, not teaching Haskell per se: for example,
> all pattern matchings must be done with case statements as the
> lecturer considers top-level pattern matching a Haskell-specific
> quirk) about these proposals...

If the Prelude is mandated as training wheels then I am +1 for jettisoning
the Prelude for real Haskell programs; let it be training wheels, so
labeled, and real programs should use something sensible. And the Prelude
should not be imported at all by default if it's only there for teaching.

+1 for generalization, -1 for the others, -10000000 for making the default
suitable solely for tutelary purposes.