A more useful Monoid instance for Data.Map

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 17:04:58 CET 2013

Breaking the semigroups instance breaks transitively almost every package
I've written. Did you attempt to fix each of those and see what was broken
downstream? I have 60+ packages that depend on semigroups alone, though I'm
not sure how many use the union instance publicly.

I am really not a fan of the idea of an interim release where no instance
exists, because it forces folks who do heavily use union to make a bunch of
orphans that cannot work together or abandon this functionality entirely.

It effectively makes it impossible for users like me who need to support a
wide-array of platforms.

If this change goes forward I'm going to have to go make a lot of code
uglier, as a currently useful Monoid will be dead to me for years, until I
can rely on it again portably across enough platforms to cover the window
I've agreed to support for my many of my packages.

If that is the consensus I'll go along with it, but I'll miss the
functionality.

-Edward