Pointed and Traversable

Henning Thielemann schlepptop at henning-thielemann.de
Mon Aug 26 18:59:58 CEST 2013

There was a lot of discussion about separating "pure" from Applicative
and putting it into a Pointed class. If I remember correctly, the main
counter argument was that 'pure' alone does not satisfy interesting
laws. There are only such laws in connection with the Applicative class.

Now, in some situations I liked to have a generalized unfoldr. I can
build this from "pure" and "sequenceA" using the State monad:

unfoldr :: (Pointed t, Traversable t) => (s -> (a, s)) -> s -> t a
unfoldr = evalState . sequenceA . pure . state

One could state a law like:

    traverse f (pure a) == traverse id (pure (f a))

Would this justify to move "pure" into a new Pointed class?