Proposal: Improving the IsString String instance

Chris Dornan chris at chrisdornan.com
Mon Aug 26 00:49:08 CEST 2013

> These users tend to be the users who are most vulnerable from the standpoint
of not knowing
> what is happening to them. They just see that Haskell "doesn't work" and go
back to Ruby.

(Laughing Out Loud) It is not just me then.

Really I would consider taking a page out of the Ruby pragmatic playbook and
recognise the importance of both monomorphic strings and overloaded strings
and provide a separate syntax for either overloaded strings or good ole
lists of Unicode points (to which I have an irrational sentimental
attachment).

Otherwise my vote is vote for the balance of the less surprises and less
generality of Edward's proposal (+1).

Chris