Proposal: Non-allocating way to iterate over a Data.Map: traverseWithKey_

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 19:38:19 CEST 2013

traverse and traverse_ visit elements in the same order as foldMap and
foldr up to the Monoid/Applicative laws permitting (finite) reassociation
and unit mapping.

It would stand to reason that traverseWithKey, traverseWithKey_,
foldMapWithKey and foldrWithKey should retain that relationship.

I don't particularly care about what the order is, but that said, if you
start breaking the invariant of the current ordering, you'll silently break
a lot of people's code while still permitting it to typecheck.

This means that the errors will be insidious and difficult to find. e.g.
the lens-based zipper code for walking into a Map will silently break and
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has taken advantage of the existing
ordering on these combinators.

-Edward