Growing Haskell Platform

Michael Snoyman michael at snoyman.com
Fri Dec 7 09:29:14 CET 2012

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 10:20 AM, Edward Z. Yang <ezyang at mit.edu> wrote:

> > Now this problem may be completely resolved in newer versions of
> > cabal-install, but I think having a large number of packages in the
> global
> > package database pegged at specific versions is a very strong recipe for
> > reintroducing version hell. Coming back to yaml: it depends on conduit.
> > Suppose after the HP is released, I release a new version of conduit. And
> > suppose some other package (say, xml-conduit) depends on this newer
> > version. What happens when the user tries to install a package that
> depends
> > on the newer xml-conduit and yaml at the same time? Ideally I'd want them
> > to get yaml recompiled against a newer version of conduit, but
> conflicting
> > user and global databases can be a very sore point.
>
> But this is exactly the point of the "Haskell Platform": given some set of
> specific package versions, install them at the very beginning, and have all
> other packages be built with those packages.  If you want to update one of
> those packages, you are almost definitionally going to have to
> rebuild--and this won't go away until Haskell libraries with no API
> changes get binary compatibility.
>
> Edward

I agree that you almost certainly will have to rebuild, my point is that
the current setup strongly discourages this rebuilding.

Let me give a more extreme example: suppose that the bug in text hadn't
simply been slower compile times, but instead it segfaulted every time you
appended two empty strings. What would be our response to users? Should we
tell them to stick with the current HP until the next one is released, and
hope they don't trigger the bug? Should they try and convince their whole
system to get rebuilt?

I think as the HP gets larger, we need to come up with an answer to the
question of upgrading included packages.

Michael