Removing lazy IO? (Was: Re: Proposal: Stop enforcing single-writer-multi-reader file access)

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Wed Nov 9 12:28:56 CET 2011

On Wed, 9 Nov 2011, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic wrote:

> On 9 November 2011 14:26, Jason Dagit <dagitj at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The other separate proposal that I would like to propose (at some time
>> in the future) is a thorough removal of "lazy IO" from base.  Or at
>> least make it not available in the Prelude (ie., people have to ask
>> for it if they want it).  Perhaps this would require the support of
>> Haskell'?
>
> Is this really necessary/desirable?  I for one have made use of lazy
> I/O (though admittedly I typically do so now via lazy ByteString/Text
> values rather than String-based I/O).

The behaviour is sometimes unexpected, e.g. in

  writeFile path . process =<< readFile path

Further on it is hard to handle exceptions that occur during 'readFile'
(getContents and so). Some time ago, I wrote the LazyIO monad that could
encapsulate lazy I/O and thus may make it a bit safer.

http://hackage.haskell.org/package/lazyio