Changes to Data.Typeable

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 16:56:10 CEST 2011

On 11/07/2011 15:25, Gábor Lehel wrote:
> 2011/7/11 Simon Marlow<marlowsd at gmail.com>:
>> On 08/07/2011 17:36, Gábor Lehel wrote:
>>>
>>> 2011/7/7 Simon Marlow<marlowsd at gmail.com>:
>> Yes, it's implementation-defined but non-varying.  I know some people have
>> objected to these things being outside the IO monad before, but there is
>> already plenty of precedent (System.Info.os, size of Int, isIEEE...).
>>
>> However, if we take it out of IO then it may limit the possible
>> implementations.  Would the previous implementation, in which keys were
>> assigned at runtime, still be valid?  It is still implementation-defined and
>> non-varying, but only over a single run.
>
> That's the question. It's in IO now because, while the keys don't vary
> over a single run, they do vary between them. Presumably the new
> version should be 'pure' if and only if that's no longer true. The
> upsides (of not being in IO) are obvious, but unfortunately I don't
> know much at all about the potential downsides in terms of limiting
> implementations.

After talking with Simon Peyton Jones about this, I decided to deprecate
typeRepKey and add Ord instances to TypeRep and TyCon.  Given that
typeRepKey isn't returning an Int any more, it isn't adding anything
over a direct Ord instance on TypeRep (we didn't do this before because
the Ord instance would vary from run to run).

So you can now make a Map with TypeRep as the key, however to do this
efficiently you probably want to use a hash map, and make TypeRep
Hashable (easy, just take a chunk of the fingerprint).

Cheers,
	Simon