Changes to Data.Typeable

Yitzchak Gale gale at sefer.org
Mon Jul 11 20:10:13 CEST 2011

Simon Marlow wrote:
> If there are a lot of packages using mkTyCon
> (I've already encountered one, so you might well
> be right), what do you suggest?

It all depends on the extent of the problem.
Can someone who has quick access to the entire
contents of Hackage please do a grep?

> Deprecation is the gentlest way we have to signal
> that something needs to be fixed.

Yes. The main questions are how loudly to yell,
and perhaps how long to delay, before doing that.

> Perhaps deprecation warnings should be piped into "sendmail
> <package-author>" instead of being printed :-)

Yes, that might be a good plan. :)

We can start with a post to the Cafe and Reddit, though.
I'll do that now.

Thanks,
Yitz