FYI: Current hackage-registered libraries which exclude base-4.4 from GHC 7.2

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Sun Aug 7 16:07:58 CEST 2011

On Sun, 7 Aug 2011, Sjoerd Visscher wrote:

> Does it ever make sense to have a dependency base < 5?

If 'base' follows the package version policy, then it does not make sense.
Does 'base' follow this policy?

> Strictly speaking never, because you can never know if a future 4.x
> change breaks your package, but maybe there are some rules of thumb when
> it is allowed?

I admit I also used 'base < 5' a lot, since in my experience, there was no
breakage of my packages within 'base == 4.*'. If module XYZ in base
changes, then according to the PVP, the major version of 'base' must be
increased. If I do not use XYZ this does not matter for me. The problem
for me is, that 'base' is still large and thus there are many modules of
it, that I do not use.