Contribution vs quality, and a few notes on the Platform process

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Mon Nov 8 17:48:19 EST 2010

On Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 03:04:29PM +0000, Duncan Coutts wrote:

> On the first two, I'm going to propose to the other steering committee
> members that for future proposals, a steering committee member is
> assigned for each proposal when it is first made.

I think this is a good idea. As they are more familiar with the process,
and less involved in the issues, maybe they would also be better than
the proposer at some of the things the proposer currently is meant to
do, e.g. updating the proposal to record open issues.

> I'll raise this with the steering committee. Voting is something we
> tried to avoid in the process when we first designed it, but the
> intention was always to see how things went and review. Voting may be
> a useful thing to bring in at some points if there's a clear case that
> some decision is better than no decision.

The call for censensus seemed to be more asking whether there was
unanimous agreement, than whether consensus existed. I'm not sure an
actual vote is a good idea, but we do need to get a number of opinions
in order to determine what the censensus is when there is disagreement.

Thanks
Ian