Potential Network SIG

Yitzchak Gale gale at sefer.org
Mon Aug 24 04:43:04 EDT 2009

Johan Tibell wrote:
> We shouldn't be afraid to use composition to
> prevent a combinatorial explosion i.e. don't have a sendAsUtf8,
> sendAsUtf16 but instead do
> send $ Text.encode Utf8 "myString"

OK, makes sense. But then, that should appear very
explicitly in the documentation. It will be the most common
usage, and people using it will not be focused on Network,
Bytestring, and Text, but on other things. They should not
be forced to thrash around and do a research project just
to do something simple.

Thomas DuBuisson wrote:
>> 6) Integrate with the rest of hackage.
>> This means instance of PrettyClass, Parsec, and Binary.

> I must disagree here. We don't want hard coupling to lots of other
> libraries.

It won't be a problem if the convenience glue is in separate
packages that pull in all of the dependencies. But then, these
other packages need to be mentioned in the documentation
for the main package.

Regards,
Yitz