Adding an ignore function to Control.Monad

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Fri Aug 14 13:20:42 EDT 2009

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009, David Menendez wrote:

> I'd ask why system is indicating failure through an exit code instead
> of throwing an exception.

Yes, throwing exception would also be nice. However current Haskell IO
system hides the possibility of exceptions and does not tell, which
exceptions may occur.
  To this end, various monads were developed
(transformers,mtl:Control.Monad.Error,
explicit-exception:Control.Monad.Exception.Synchronous,
control-monad-exception). Of course, under the hood they use return
values.

>> It's quite easy to add 'ignore' where necessary and it safes us from
>> ignoring a result by accident. Avoiding errors is the goal of using
>> types, isn't it?
>
> If that's all there is to it, then why aren't you using Agda or Coq?

I assumed, Haskell shall also be developed towards dependent types, which
are intended for more safety, aren't they? Nonetheless, I find Agda an
interesting project.