Thinking about what's missing in our library coverage

Matti Niemenmaa matti.niemenmaa+news at iki.fi
Wed Aug 5 01:38:12 EDT 2009

wren ng thornton wrote:
> Don Stewart wrote:
>> Could you do comparative benchmarks for insertion and lookup into
>>
>>    * Data.Map String Int
>>    * Data.Map ByteString Int
>>    * bytestring-trie
>>
>> I don't have a sense for how much better bytestring-trie is.

<cut>

> I'll try to set up a benchmarking suite to test more recent versions and
> other functions in the interface.

If you're going to look at Map String as well as Map ByteString, I hope
you wouldn't mind tossing the list-tries package
(http://hackage.haskell.org/package/list-tries) into the mix. A Patricia
trie with Enum keys (since we're dealing with Chars) from
Data.ListTrie.Patricia.Map.Enum should beat Data.Map, at least.

I've been meaning to benchmark my library myself but I haven't found the
time or energy to do so.