Thinking about what's missing in our library coverage

Axel Simon Axel.Simon at ens.fr
Tue Aug 4 08:21:11 EDT 2009

Hi Simon et al.,

On Aug 4, 2009, at 13:57, Sittampalam, Ganesh wrote:

> Simon Marlow wrote:
>
>> By bringing gtk2hs into the platform, we would be giving the gtk2hs
>> maintainers a helpful boost; they'd get more testing for one thing.
>
> I think that should explicitly not be a reason to bring things into
> the
> platform.

Bringing Gtk2Hs into the platform is certainly desirable. During the
last one or two years, the  amount of users has grown steadily which
is nice. However, Pete and my time is rather limited and is often
being used up by installation issues and questions that could be
answered with better documentation. Thus, it would be desirable to
bring Gtk2Hs into the platform because it would force us to simplify
installation and documentation.

For the former part, I wonder if cabalization is important for
Gtk2Hs. A cabalized version of Gtk2Hs would allow people to use Cairo
and Pango to create PDF documents without the need to install the GUI
parts of the library. On the contrary, if Gtk2Hs is shipped with the
platform, then all libraries are available anyway and cabalization
might not be as important.

My question: how important is cabalization for a package that wants
to be part of the platform?

Axel.