Thinking about what's missing in our library coverage

Don Stewart dons at galois.com
Mon Aug 3 19:44:32 EDT 2009

Following Simon M's advice, I look over the typical "batteries"
categories, using Python as input:

    http://docs.python.org/library/index.html

The following things were missing from the current Platform. There are many.
How would you identify the top, say, 5 libs to add?

-- Don

    * String support
          o binary formatting [binary] — lazy binary parsing/serialising
          o pcre regexes [pcre-light] [regex-pcre] — what’s our best regex lib?
          o unicode text [text] [text-icu] — packed, unicode text
          o codecs/encodings — encodings?
    * Data types
          o higher dimensional arrays [hmatrix]
          o bloomfilter — bloomfilters
          o bytestring-tries — IntMap for ByteStrings
          o dlist — difference lists
          o numbers — expanded number types
    * text
          o attoparsec (simple, bytestring parsing)
          o polyparse
          o csv parsing
          o pandoc — markdown, reStructuredText, HTML, LaTeX, ConTeXt, Docbook, OpenDocument, ODT, RTF, MediaWiki, groff
    * math and numerics
          o blas — BLAS
          o cmath — C math functions
          o dimensional — physical dimensions