PROPOSAL: Add openFileTemplate, openBinaryFileTemplate to System.IO

Simon Marlow marlowsd at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 11:45:30 EDT 2009

On 25/07/2009 13:35, Ian Lynagh wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 11:11:40PM -0700, Evan Laforge wrote:
>>>
>>> man mktemp
>>
>> Ohhh, it's for the filename, sorry, all the talk about permissions got
>> me on the wrong track.
>
> Right. Just to clarify for anyone else reading, we currently have:
>      openTempFile           :: FilePath ->  String ->  IO (FilePath, Handle)
>      openBinaryTempFile     :: FilePath ->  String ->  IO (FilePath, Handle)
> which mask the mode, and we would add
>      openFileTemplate       :: FilePath ->  String ->  IO (FilePath, Handle)
>      openBinaryFileTemplate :: FilePath ->  String ->  IO (FilePath, Handle)
> which do not.
>
> Theese functions are used like this:
>      openFileTemplate "/foo/bar" "bazXXX.ext"
> and open a file called "baz143.ext". "bazXXX.ext" is the template.

I'm not too keen on the naming.  openFileTemplate differs from
openTempFile only in that it uses the default permissions, and yet its
name suggests that it does something quite different.

The fact that you don't know what the file is going to be called means
that the API is only really useful for temporary files, so I have no
problem with that being part of the name.  Perhaps
openTempFileWithDefaultPermissions?

Or perhaps we deprecate openTempFile, and make a new openTemporaryFile
that takes a Bool argument to say whether to make the file private or not?

Cheers,
	Simon