#2309: containers: specialize functions that fail in a Monad to Maybe

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Sun May 25 08:44:36 EDT 2008

Hello Neil,

Sunday, May 25, 2008, 4:28:45 PM, you wrote:

> mzero vs. Nothing

> One doesn't crash, the other may crash depending on what is floating
> around. Perhaps I've used type inference extensively, and the actual
> decision of what mzero means is 10 functions  away. Now its really
> hard to see the program is safe, versus not.

it looks like argument against type-inferencing languages as whole.
once you have jumped into this wagon, it's depend on your experience
how much polymorphism you will use. i know people who doesn't like
monads at all because they think that monads are just fool way to
implement imperativeness. i'm not comfortable with MonadPlus
instances, but i don't see this as reason why more advanced haskellers
shouldn't be able to use findMin in mre advanced ways

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com