[Haskell-cafe] ANN: unix-2.4.0.0 additional POSIX real time support

Ross Paterson ross at soi.city.ac.uk
Sat May 10 06:51:19 EDT 2008

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 11:17:49AM +0100, Ian Lynagh wrote:
> On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 11:21:40PM -0700, Donald Bruce Stewart wrote:
> > It's currently a bug that anyone can (accidentally) release their own
> > versions of the core libraries.
>
> Yes, this mix-up is really our fault; we don't advertise or enforce our
> policies well enough (I'm not even sure if we've got total agreement on
> what they are?).
>
> It's also raised an interesting question of who can upload the packages
> maintained by libraries at . I guess we just create a sensible looking list
> of people (roughly equal to those who release Haskell implementations
> probably makes sense).

Up to now, releases of these packages have been part of GHC releases;
the versions on hackage have been images of the packages from GHC
source releases.  If we're going to do releases of them more often,
that ought to be done via the libraries list.

It's a special case of a broader problem with non-maintainer uploads
(i.e. releases), which cause exactly the same problems for other packages
too.  If we had an agreed policy we could advertise and enforce it, but
we don't.  I don't think that mechanized enforcement is the priority;
having a policy is.

We also need to ensure that the version in the darcs repo is larger
than the most recent release, but smaller than the release to follow.