Integrating editline with ghc

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Sun Jan 27 18:06:33 EST 2008

On Sun, Jan 27, 2008 at 04:41:37PM +1100, Manuel M T Chakravarty wrote:

> My conclusion:
>
> * The readline package stays as it is (stays GPL).

I definitely agree with this.

> * We add the new editline package (as a boot package) including
> Editline.Readline as the compatibility layer (is BSD3).

And this.

> * GHC uses configure magic to pick editline when available and
> readline otherwise.

I think GHC should just always use editline. We already need to support
using an in-tree editline for Windows, so we can also use it on other
platforms where editline isn't easily available or is too old. Also
supporting readline just makes the build system more complicated for
little extra benefit, and also means that there are more configurations
to bitrot.

Thanks
Ian