Proposal: Reserved module namespace for packages on Hackage

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Wed Aug 20 04:21:45 EDT 2008

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:

> On 2008 Aug 19, at 12:20, Iavor Diatchki wrote:
>> I think that it is a much better idea to use the package name as the
>> top-level module name space, as we have already put some effort in
>> ensuring that these are more or less unique.
>

> May I suggest the Alexandrian solution?  Module aliases.  "alias
> Foo-package.Data.HashSet as Data.HashSet".

Or what about using Lib top-level for new libraries written by only a few
authors and used by only a few users. When it becomes clear that many
people need it or there are multiple packages for the same purpose, they
can start a joint effort to create "the real thing" in the existing module
hierarchy. This way 'Lib' would be the sand-box and 'Data' and friends are
for the "standards".