Proposal: Reserved module namespace for packages on Hackage

Iavor Diatchki iavor.diatchki at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 12:20:49 EDT 2008

Hello,

I also don't think that we need to prefix everything with Lib.

However, I also do not like the current style of naming library
packages, where a single package can sprinkle modules all over the
hierarchy because:
  - It makes it hard to figure out where modules come from (e.g., when
I see an import in the source code, it is hard to tell what library it
came from),
  - The reverse problem also holds---when you look at the docs, it is
hard to tell which modules are provided by a given package,
  - It discourages diversity (which some people may say is a good
thing :-).  What I mean is that there is a kind of "land rush" to
stake out the good names in the hierarchy (I know that multiple
packages can provide the same module, but it is still a pain,
especially if you want _some_ modules from two conflicting packages).
  - I don't think the system scales that well.  For example, if I was
to create a package that draws graphs, should I put it under
Data.Graph, and hope that no one uses both it, and the graph modules.
And does that mean that to pick names for my modules I have to know
all the modules in all libraries out there?
  - There are much better ways to classify modules by their purposes
than the single hierarchy imposed by the module name space (think
labels, tags, categories, keywords, all the usual ways people use on
the internet to classify things).

I think that it is a much better idea to use the package name as the
top-level module name space, as we have already put some effort in
ensuring that these are more or less unique.

-Iavor