Proposal: overhaul System.Process

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Tue Apr 29 16:19:36 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 08:58:19PM +0100, Neil Mitchell wrote:
> >  How about two separate versions?  In which case, what should they be
> > called?
>
> The current proposal feels very good. You have the "I expect it to
> fail" and the "I expect it to succeed". If you introduce another
> variant, it suddenly becomes much less clear.

I agree.  The only improvement I can think of is that it'd be nicer if the
first function readProcess were to put stderr in the exception thrown, but
there are reasons not to do that (e.g. if stderr is very long).

In any case, these are pretty simple functions to implement in terms of
createProcess (I think that was what it was called), and if there are
less-simple "simple" functions that would be useful, they could always be
implemented outside System.Process.
--
David Roundy
Department of Physics