patch applied (packages/regex-base): Make setup scriptcompileagain after recent Cabal changes

Sven Panne sven.panne at aedion.de
Sat Sep 1 14:34:43 EDT 2007

On Saturday 01 September 2007 20:13, Ross Paterson wrote:
> [...] However a package that uses a
> boilerplate Setup.hs (as 90% of the packages on Hackage do) needs only
> backwards compatibility of the .cabal format, and that has been carefully
> preserved.

Alas, that's true: Today I had to unbreak the "time" package exactly because
the .cabal format has been changed.

> [...] There is a common issue, but it's the "birthpangs of a new package
> system".  Pouring concrete over Cabal in its current state won't help.

Fair enough, but giving a painful birth for months after months is really
annoying. Our very big mistake has been to use Cabal in its current immature
state in the GHC (+ libs) build system. Being progressive and open to new
technologies is a good thing, but *not* in the area of versioning systems,
build infrastructure and the like, at least this should be avoided when the
SW in question is built by a large amount of people. Experiments should be
done in isolation...

Cheers,
   S.