updateLookupWithKey bug? Was: Data.Map, Data.IntMap documentation (1611)

Adrian Hey ahey at iee.org
Fri Nov 2 04:49:59 EDT 2007

Actually I think there are several functions in Data.Map that should be
deprecated, including this one (as I did in the clone I wrote).

When it comes to complex hybrid operations like this there are just
to many possible variations, none of which are obviously "correct".
So unless you're going to provide them all and think of sensible
names for them all it's probably best to provide none of them.

Instead, it's trivially easy to implement a really cheap (but limited)
zipper like thing, as is done with the OMap type in the AVL clone.
Using this, the function in question (or anything similar) can easily
be implemented by users themselves..

There's special about AVL trees, this can be done with any binary
tree. It's just a simple node indexing scheme.

And it is really cheap. Even with Ints as keys an OMap based insertion
only takes about 10% longer than a regular insertion, and you get the
added advantage that if the the tree is unmodified you really do get
exactly the same tree (you don't pointlessly burn a lot of heap
duplicating all the nodes on the search path).

Regards
--
Adrian Hey