Proposal: Add Data.List.sortNub and sortNubBy

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Tue Mar 13 13:39:08 EDT 2007

On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 11:48:41AM +0000, Neil Mitchell wrote:
> I think JHC supports recursive modules properly.

yes. it collects all modules and breaks them into strongly connected
components and compiles each such component as a unit.

It does make things quite nice during development. However, I have found
that due to the prelude being pulled into everything by default I end up
with a massive prelude-wad of recursive modules that can take a bit for
jhc to chug through and compile. Though, I don't see this as being an
issue for end users since the situation just doesn't work at all with
other compilers.

Recursive modules don't come up a whole lot, but you have to mentally
page out a lot of the task you are working on in order to refactor your
module layout when it comes up, it is nice just to be able to continue
working and delay thinking about module layout after you complete the task at
hand. A lot of the times, recursive modules do make sense though. The
logical layout of code you want to present to the user does not always
agree with the ideal implementation layout and it is nice to have the
ability to decouple those.

I believe at least one compiler went the other route and allowed
multiple (possibly recursive) module definitions in a single file.

        John

--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.ne⑆john⑈