wxHaskell working with 2.8.4 wxWidgets and 6.6.1

shelarcy shelarcy at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 20:54:02 EDT 2007

Hello, David

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 20:53:55 +0900, Simon Peyton-Jones <simonpj at microsoft.com> wrote:
> | you might be pleased to here that wxHaskell is now working quite well with
> | the latest versions of wxWidgets and GHC i.e. versions 2.8.4 and 6.6.1
> | respectively. I realise you are probably too senior to deal with such
> | project details directly but the GHC site does not have a general contact
> | address and wouldn't let me register an account to report this on any
> | internal forum etc. Since I am very new to Haskell -- this is in fact my
> | first project with wxWidgets and Haskell, could you please suggest someone
> | to whom I could pass on the details of the mods I have made etc to get
> | wxHaskell working in the current environment.

I heard that wxHaskell can build with wxWidgets 2.8.0.
http://caml.inria.fr/pub/ml-archives/caml-list/2007/01/d40b2a810ca50f63456508cf57d418cc.en.html

But we can't see his solution, so I just point out my ideas.

If you want to build wxHaskell with wxWidgets 2.8.x, you must build wxWidgets
with "#define WXWIN_COMPATIBILITY_2_4 1" at least.

Because wxHaskell requires to build on wxWidgets 2.4.2, so wxHaskell uses
deprecated wxWidgets 2.4's API.

And what is a platform that you are using? If you don't use Windows or
PowerPC Mac, I think you must use just --enable-compat24 option to build
wxWidgets 2.8.x. But you use these platform, you must worried care about
more detail.

Another solution is use wxWidgets 2.6 API, if wxHaskell build with higher
2.6.x version by #ifdef macros like wave.cpp.
Does anyone already try to add supporting wxWidgets 2.6 or 2.8 API?

--
shelarcy <shelarcy    hotmail.co.jp>
http://page.freett.com/shelarcy/