darcs patch: Remove unsafeCoerce-importing kludgery in favor of Uns...

Ashley Yakeley ashley at semantic.org
Tue Jun 5 20:59:04 EDT 2007

Simon Marlow wrote:

> I see the point - to clearly separate all the unsafe stuff - but there
> are other categories of things that we might also want to separate (e.g.
> Haskell 98 vs. non-Haskell 98, portable vs. non-portable, deprecated vs.
> current...).  We made the decision a long time ago that the hierarchy
> should categorise by functionality rather than any other property of
> modules.  There are exceptions (System.Posix), but it's still a good
> rule of thumb.

In that case, shouldn't unsafeCoerce be in Data.Unsafe? It seems odd to
have a Unsafe.* hierarchy if it's not going to have all the unsafe
functions.

Unsafety is a bit different from the other categories. Deprecated
functions by definition shouldn't be moved, only deleted. Portability
changes, and so does standards-compliance, so there's no need to move
such functions around.

--
Ashley Yakeley