Proposal: Data.Stream

Wouter Swierstra wss at cs.nott.ac.uk
Mon Jul 9 14:15:07 EDT 2007

 > snip

Thanks for the link, Stefan. That's exactly what I was looking for.
I've created a ticket and will add the corresponding darcs patch
shortly.

On 9 Jul 2007, at 19:46, apfelmus wrote:
>> and Leshchinskiy are pushing for a completely unrelated
>> Data.Stream to
>> be added to base.  (Theirs is a package of operations on lists
>> defined
>> by generalized unfold operators.)
>
> How about Data.Colist for infinite lists :)

The problem with calling it Colist, is that a Colist can still have a
base case. I consider Colists the same as "lazy lists", that Haskell
programmers are familiar with. Streams on the other hand, do *not*
have a base case and are necessarily infinite.

I realize there's a bit of a naming conflict with Don, Duncan, and
Roman's "Data.List.Stream". Clearly, their library should have been
called "Data.List.ImpredicativeChurchEncodingOfNuX.OnePlusATimesX" :)

On a more serious note, this proposal has no chance if we can't agree
no some name. I could almost settle for "Data.Infinite.Stream" or
maybe even "Data.Infinite.List". I'd welcome any other suggestions.

   Wouter