[Haskell] Re: package mounting

Samuel Bronson naesten at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 06:37:16 EST 2006

On 10/30/06, Frederik Eaton <frederik at a5.repetae.net> wrote:
> > What about packages with multiple module trees like, say, Cabal?
>
> That's a good question, and I think the right answer is not to do
> anything special to support them. I assume that what you're referring
> to with Cabal is that there is no common prefix for all of the module
> names, but rather a small set of common prefixes (Distribution.*,
> Language.Haskell.Extension). Under my proposal, if we want to get rid
> of the 'Distribution' module prefix within the Cabal source code, then
> we'll have to either rename the Language.Haskell.Extension module, or
> move it to another package.

Erg. That sounds icky :-(. Maybe we ought to have a flag that takes
package name, default mountpoint, and replacement mountpoint? And the
cabal would look like this:

The package would export:
X11.Types
X11.Xlib
X11.Xlib.Atom
X11.Xlib.Event
X11.Xlib.Display

and have:
Default-Bases: X11=Graphics.X11

Other packages would import it like this if they wanted the Types
module at Graphics.Unix.X11.Types:
Build-Depends: X11(X11=Graphics.Unix.X11)

Who knows what the GHC flags ought to look like...