[Haskell] base libraries

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Mon Nov 27 09:47:01 EST 2006

On Sun, Nov 26, 2006 at 01:19:24PM +0300, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:

> which is not required to
> compile ghc but nevertheless widely used and should be easily
> available, say, for windows users

You seem to be implying that "not included with $implementation" means
"not easily available". This means that any library not included in this
core libs set is not easily available, which is not a good position for
us to be in! It means library writers are unhappy that no-one uses
their libraries, users are unhappy that it is hard to get libraries they
need and increases the pressure on us to put more libraries into core
libs.

For GHC at least, the set of libraries included isn't going to change
before 6.8, so we have until then to bring Hackage up to speed so that
this is not true.

So, I would like to through down the gauntlet to the community to make
this happen! We have ambitions to make large steps in this direction at
Hac 07 http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Hac_2007 (but that shouldn't stop
people who can't be there from working on it too, or people working on
it before then!).

Thanks
Ian