base libraries

Udo Stenzel u.stenzel at web.de
Sat Nov 25 07:06:09 EST 2006

Ian Lynagh wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 25, 2006 at 02:34:21AM +0100, Udo Stenzel wrote:
> >
> > Pathnames are short strings.  No need to optimize for performance,
> > instead optimize for clarity.
>
> There have been times in darcs where the performance of path names was
> an issue.

Let me guess:  Lots of (++) used in a left associative way compounded by
lots of init, last and (reverse . dropWhile p . reverse)?

If so, that's easily avoided by giving pathnames a structure.  Lists
have too little structure and operations are cheap at the wrong end.

-Udo
--
AMAZING BUT TRUE ...
    If all the salmon caught in Canada in one year were laid end to end